Tuesday 3 April 2012

Food frenzies and friendship

One of things I miss the most about my pre AVM/Gamma life is my ability to network at my own will. To jump in my van and visit friends, walk around head lake, go to the grocery store or even go to work. To talk to friends, family, acquaintances or colleagues face to face. To exchange information. Thank you Mark Zuckerberg for Facebook or I would be completely insane by now.

This past Sunday John and I enjoyed the company of eight other families at our monthly "Gluten Free Food Frenzy".  The group was established by my friend D and her daughter this winter in an effort to "simply share knowledge and build community around the gluten-free lifestyle by hosting a monthly feast. It is a family friendly fun and fabulous free of gluten (egg, soy,dairy, peanuts and other allergens) food fest."   Month to month the attendance and location varies but each of us come to enjoy fabulous food with like minded families.  Not all of us have food allergies but we all share the belief in healing our bodies with good food.

Sunday morning was rough for me.  I had continual focal seizures and I was exhausted.  Logic said I should stay home and sleep but I chose to go.  I am so  glad I did. 

My friends know that at times its difficult for me to string a sentence together.  To focus, collect my thoughts and say what I want to say (Writing is easier. Possibly because I can continue to edit over and over). After a morning of seizures I thought I would be a disaster.  I didn't plan to stay long.  We were the first to arrive and one of the last to leave.

Funny thing is my comfort level with this group was so relaxed that I never struggled at all.  Ok I did a little but it wasn't a complete disaster. I also knew that if I did have a seizure I was completely safe.  John was by my side to translate if necessary.  My friends wouldn't care if I couldn't talk, stuttered, stammered, or even drool.  We had the stage ready if we needed to play charades ;)

How refreshing and rejuvenating it was to have real conversations about the things that matter to me that wasn't completely AVM related.  How wonderful it is to have loving, caring, real friends, both old and new.

Thank you John for taking time away from fencing to support me.  ( thanks for fencing as well)

Sending love from the hill.



No comments:

Post a Comment