Friday 30 March 2012

The Real Cost of Being Ill...


John and I are breathing a little easier this month.  For the first time in nine months I received an income, from CPP Disability.  You may recall in an earlier post about the hoops I had to jump through to get it.

Though it is not what I would be making if I was actually at work I welcome it.  And I'm not too proud to accept it and my now "disabled" status.

Prior to my diagnosis, in February 2011, my position at work went from a full time with full benefits to a part time with zero benefits.  Zero benefits means no Long Term Disability insurance.  It also means when 15 weeks of Sick Benefits from Employment Insurance runs out there is no money left.  At least for my family.


Being ill or supporting someone who is ill is mentally and emotionally draining.  Doing so with no income is undescribable and extremely stressful.  Stress so intense that it often causes more health problems or further complications.

Thank god we had a freezer full of meat and four credit cards to juggle our increasing debt load.  We are very fortunate that friends pitched in where they could.  By purchasing our eggs, jam, blankets etc.  By sending us gift cards for groceries and gas.  By topping up our oil tank.  By giving us generous monetary gifts.  We will be forever humbled and grateful for those peoples kindness. I have learned that people want to help but don't often know how.  Here' s how...

I have a friend who has been fighting her own monster this past year.  With her permission I share her personal (private) blog.  Her story is different than mine but also similar in so many ways. I ask you to read it with an open heart and mind.  Please think about her and her message.  I am so proud of her and the courage it took to write so honestly.  This is Daniela 's story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment