Friday 2 March 2012

Waiting for Spring

I like winter.  I love the crisp air and trees heavy with snow.  I enjoy activities like snow shoeing, skiing, tobogganing and even ice fishing.  I am especially fond of "snow days" when the school buses are cancelled and the kids are home.  This year I am done with winter. Enough already!  I am tired of being trapped indoors.  My yard is too icy and I am alone far too often to enjoy anything outside.

The beginning of Spring is my mental marker of time.   Come Spring I will be three seasons post Gamma and approaching my one year anniversary.  Spring is the time for new beginnings, big plans and moving forward.

B will be just past his heart ablation surgery and in recovery mode. A will be anticipating TLAC (art camp) and preparing for grade eight graduation (Oh my goodness!) D will also be graduating and moving on to the middle school.  John, who is always super busy, will become even busier with his carpentry business and here on the farm.  I will officially become a farmer.

Spring means fencing, fencing and a little more fencing - for security, privacy, gardens, chickens, cows and pigs. I have already enlisted the help of my father and brother in law as soon as the frost leaves the ground.  I will reward them with good food and endless gratitude.

This Spring I have insisted on learning how to use the variety of  time saving tools we have collected over the years. I just happen to have a wonderful teacher in house.   I am going to learn to do for myself a little more on the quest for self sufficiency.  I am differently abled but capable.

The chicken coops need to be cleaned and remodeled to accommodate our changing needs.We will have three houses this year. McKelvey House for our free range egg layers.  Mills House for the hens, roos and chicks. We are eagerly anticipating the first bunch of chicks to hatch. Hosaki House for our meat birds. Until we have a giant barn in the meadow this is how it will be.

I have been talking weaners (piglets) with anyone who will listen. Trying to find our small farm the perfect breed. I believe I have secured four Tamworths when the snow is gone.  They will forge, root and live outdoors.  I am leaving the cattle to John.

Spring means tilling, digging and planting.  Annuals, perennials, vegetables and herbs.  I can't wait to get my hands dirty. I need something to keep my mind and body active.  Friends who weed are always welcome.

Goodbye Winter.  Welcome Spring! 






No comments:

Post a Comment