Wednesday 25 April 2012

Letting go...work

In an attempt to gain some control in my life I need to make some changes.  

I handed in my resignation at work.  I didn't have to.  I chose to.

I have been on a leave of absence since the monster in my brain took hold, rattling it regularly with seizures.  I had planned to go back once things settled down medically but I had a moment of true clarity.  I realized that as long as I had a timeline of when I was to return I was going to remain unwell.

As a Social Worker I have never left work and simply flipped the switch and forgot about every  interaction I had through out the day.  Maybe some do - I do not.  Every person I have ever worked with has had an impact on me.  I think about them, their needs, their dreams, how I and we as a community could do more.   Core competencies, best practice and developmentally appropriate are a part of my regular vernacular. Talk to me sometime and you will know this to be true.

It is ridiculous to believe that while I was on a leave of absence that I stopped caring about the people I have supported.  That I was unaware of what was happening in my own community.  When you live and work in a small town everything is under a microscope.  I didn't seek out information; it was either completely visible or brought to my attention by a concerned community member.  So though I was away I continued to care, have opinions and advocate.

Now I choose to hand back that responsibility and privilege.


 
A reminder from my Inner Pirate...

The swelling in my brain has left me with temporary aphasia, a communication disorder.  
It does not effect my intelligence.
Don't talk to me, at  me or about me like I am stupid.
Furthermore, I remember what confidentiality and in confidence means and I still practice it.
I wish the same respect be extended to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment