Saturday 26 November 2011

ASD, AVM, WPW, HHT - our world in acronyms

Our son B is talented, funny and smart.  He loves comics, super heroes and video games. He is genuine, caring and gives the most amazing hugs.  B has Wolffe Parkinson White Syndrome.  He was diagnosed in April 2011 after complaining about a rapid heart beat and severe pain in his chest.  B also has Aspergers Syndrome and rarely, if ever, complains about pain.  At first we thought he may be having anxiety attacks; that makes sense since he has Aspergers. Thankfully we took his complaint seriously and so did his doctor.


We met with a cardiologist in October and decided the best treatment to correct Brenden's accessory pathway is by non invasive Surgical Ablation (not open heart surgery).  Given my diagnosis of an AVM in my brain it was decided that B should also be tested, just in case. 

A couple of weeks ago B had an MRI on his brain and has been scheduled for further testing on his heart and lungs.  On Monday I received a telephone call from Sick Kids Hospital confirming an appointment to follow up with a Neurologist.  I knew that meant one thing... they found something wrong.  On Thursday at a regular pediatrician appointment I read the MRI results myself.  During the MRI it was discovered that B too has an AVM in his left frontal lobe measuring 12mm at the largest point.

Instead of ME having an AVM (congenital, 1% of the population); WE have HHT, Hereditary Homorrhotic Telangiectasia (tel-AN-jee-eck-TAZE-ee-ya). Somehow hearing the worse news ever is so much more devastating when you hear it about your child.

For the past year I have been on an emotional roller coaster ride of questioning, testing, diagnosis, treatment, unpleasant side effects, anger, fear, and hope.  Now I know why...  IF I had never been diagnosed, then we would have had no reason to do further testing on B.  Without further AVM testing his cardiologist would have gone blindly into treatment.  Treatment that could have potentially some very serious risks.

So what now?
  • Inform all members of my immediate family.  What they choose to do with this information is up to them.
  • Meet with a Neurologist at Sick Kids Hospital on December 5th. See the MRI images and start making a plan.
  • Back to Toronto for further testing on B's heart and my brain before Christmas.
  • Meet with a my geneticist and a new one who works with children to explore how deep this runs in our family.  Which I am certain will lead to testing of our girls and my parents.
  • Remember to breath, live, love and be grateful everyday.

5 comments:

  1. I believe the reason I have my troll is because I get trolls. I think that is also the reason you have B. My prayers are with you and your family and I know the strength and determination you have. I also know that hope springs eternal for those who believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal. I'm sure you know the verse too but it's gotten me through hard times. Thinking of you guys often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph you and your family are in our prayers always. You and John's strength is inspiring to me and so many others. Stay strong and postive your are amazing in my eyes, I can't even imagine going through everything you and your family have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hold tight to memories for comfort...
    Lean on your friends for strength or support...and always remember how much you are cared about...
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete