Sunday 14 August 2011

Sleep, wonderful sleep…

I like sleeping.  I like it a lot.  As a child I never really fought to stay up late.  Except when I was in grade three and TB told me that she got to stay up until 10pm!!  As a new Mom I couldn’t wait for bedtime so I could collapse into my bed (or theirs) worn out.  As my little kids grow into big kids I am often asleep before they are.  They are becoming night hawks like their father.  I rarely watch television because most of the good shows are on way past my bedtime.

So I like and desire sleep but I don’t always pull it off.   As a woman and a mother I have perfected the art of carrying on and pushing past exhaustion.  Occasionally I don’t get enough sleep because I have too much to do and it can’t be put off any longer.  Twice a month I work a night shift and that messes me up for a few days.  Sometimes my busy brain won’t shut down and I just can’t sleep. Other nights I dream crazy, crazy dreams and it just feels like I haven’t slept.

I am currently 7 weeks post Gamma Knife Surgery and sleeping has become extremely important.  If I am over tired I have focal seizures.  Most recently these seizures occur in my mouth effecting how I talk and processing what I want to say.  They last about three to five minutes but it feels like eons.  Every time I have one, they get a little bit worse than the one before and last a little longer.  My neurosurgeon reminds me, regularly, how important it is that I listen to my body because my body knows what it needs. 

Today my body told me that I couldn’t complete my shift.  I tried to argue but it won. My body said to sleep at my Mom and Dad’s before I came home.  I did.  It is currently telling me to back away from the computer and go to bed.  I will. Soon.

ps - if you checked the link and read that "very rarely" some people have side effects and may lose a little hair - I'm some people.  Just lucky I guess. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment