Friday 22 June 2012

The story we tell ourselves...

"We are each the story we tell ourselves."
I'm not sure when I first heard that sentence but it rings true to me in so many ways.
If a person tells them self the same mantra over and over again,
it becomes their truth and the story they tell others.
If I tell myself I am ill then I live like I am ill.
If I tell myself to live to the best of my ability,
I have a much more positive outlook each day.

I remember much of my past and I am living my present.
Sometimes I am told stories of my youth by others.
I always find it interesting to listen to their recollection of shared experiences.
Our different perceptions of childhood and high school.
I am lucky because John shares many of my memories.
If someone makes a statement that doesn't mesh with my memory,
John can often fill in the holes or help clarify their personal spin.

As our daughter leaves behind elementary school and enters high school,
I am reminded of my own personal history and the transition from little to big.
Some friendships, that were important in public school, solidified in high school.
While others were left behind.  Some with regret and others with a sigh of relief.
Boys who once were coveted and fought over were forgotten.
Others boys, who were largely unnoticed or unknown, became exciting and intriguing. 
New friendships were forged based on common interests and beliefs.
Past problems and disagreements were largely forgotten for they no longer held relevance.

As I grew older and presumably wiser I began to treasure the people who were important to me.
People who treated me like my goals, dreams and beliefs were important to them.
I let go of the people who no longer felt connected to. Not with malice just a farewell.
I have been very blessed with so many wonderful friendships over my lifetime.
Some brief, some permanent but all important for the lessons they taught me.

I recently had dinner with some of my favourite families.
We each come from completely different places but connect perfectly.
Together we can laugh, talk, debate and genuinely enjoy each other.
Children, health, food, community and friendship bring and keep us together.
Each of us telling a similar story.




No comments:

Post a Comment