Wednesday 11 January 2012

Where I'm at... this is not a pity party.


For the past 13 years I have worked as a Social Worker, Early Childhood Educator, Parent Support Worker, Developmental Service Worker or a combination of all for four different agencies in my community. I have been a board member, a manager, on the front line and a volunteer. I have worked with and supported a diverse group of people and their families. I have partnered with community groups, agencies and the medical community on a number of different projects.  I am educated. I have always taken pride in putting people before paper work.

 This morning I learned the system is flawed beyond belief.  Maybe I always knew but I hoped I could help change it. Maybe through this experience I still can advocate for change.  Right now I am just frustrated.

In 2011 I worked exactly 18 shifts.  Nine prior to treatment and nine post.  I want to work.  I enjoy working.  I believe I still have a a lot to offer.  My reality is I can not.  I am not well.  It's not safe.  Period.

My other reality is I still have a family, a mortgage and financial obligations.  All the same things I had while I was working.  Fifteen weeks of sick leave through Employment Insurance is long gone.  I have no Long Term Disability through work.  I do not qualify for Ontario Works (municipal) and Ontario Disability Support Program (provincial) because they look at a families income not that of the individual.

Don't get me wrong I value my family above and beyond everything else.  But what happened to Stephanie as the individual?  Why did I contribute to MY to income tax and employment insurance if I can't utilize it when I need it?  I have applied to Canada Pension Plan - Disability and I can expect an answer by APRIL.  So in a nut shell I can't access programs I have contributed to because I belong to a family. My doctors and I have done our part but it will still take up to 24 weeks for the government to approve my claim.  I don't want to even think about the very real possibility that my claim will be denied.

This morning I found out that I do not qualify for my mortgage disability insurance (which I have paid since I was 20 years old) because I haven't had a stroke, yet. Huh. So just to clarify IF I had cancer, a heart attack or already had a stroke, no problem.  But because I can't work due to treatment I have received to prevent a stroke I don't qualify.  Oh, on a brighter side if the doctor tells them I have less than 12 months to live I do qualify! What?!  So now I have added Michelle from TD Financial Insurance Department to the short list of people John needs to call to get help IF I have a stroke.  Fantastic.

The system is flawed.

Now let me tell you what I am grateful for and what I am going to focus on....
  • We are happy and healthy (if you don't count my earlier rant and all those acronyms :)
  • We have a freezer full of food and I have the skills required to make healthy meals for my family.
  • We are warm.
  • We have a beautiful home and lots of land with many resources.
  • Our bills are paid up to date.
  • John is working.  (Feel free to refer him :)
  • "Someone" just had furnace oil delivered to our house free of charge because they knew we would need it before the end of the winter.  Thank you...
Sending you gratitude and positive thoughts from the hill.

Steph









1 comment: